Sunday, June 15, 2014

BOS --> LAX

It feels like just yesterday that I sat in this same spot and typed out my very first blog post, preparing to dive into the most incredible yet crazy three months of my life (see my previous blog KangarooTales, for proof). This time my journey is definitely less strenuous, (CA vs. AUS) although I feel the all too familiar pre-departure-butterflies coming alive in my stomach. My oversized camping bag is packed to the point I'm actually concerned it may explode on the flight, and my backpack is crammed with my new camera and my on-flight entertainment (Game of Thrones Book 5 and my music - although to be honest I probably will just pass out the whole way there). I'm excited to start this new adventure, but at the same time I feel that I barely got used to being home before I'm having to say goodbye all over again. But i'm sure i'll feel that this summer, as it always does, will fly by.

I decided to start a blog up again so that I could keep my friends and family posted on my adventures this summer, and depending on where my life-journey takes me, perhaps even beyond. This summer I am heading off to Calabasas California (yes, home to the infamous Kardashian clan), where I will be interning at the California Wildlife Center (http://www.cawildlife.org/). The center works to care for and rehabilitate thousands of injured and orphaned wildlife every year, and as an intern I will be helping out in the day-to-day operations in the center, experiencing everything from intake to release (hopefully!) I don't yet know the specifics of my daily schedule, but stay tuned for updates sometime next week, once I've had a chance to settle in and get my bearings. All i've been told is that the work is dirty, smelly and keeps me busy from start to end. All i'm praying is that I can keep up and that I don't get bitten by a rattlesnake or get sprayed by a skunk...

For the next ten weeks I am going to be rooming with a fellow intern at the guest house of one of the center's volunteers. The house is located about 3/4 miles from the center (hello hiking to work) and from what i've heard and cannot wait for, is that the scenery and environment is absolutely breathtaking. I am excited to get out there and get a chance to explore the area!

Sorry this initial post isn't very fascinating, but hopefully I can whet your blog-reading appetites by listing what you can hopefully look forward to in future posts:
- pictures of animals (I have heard that the taking of pictures of the patients is monitored by the center staff, so i will probably have limited pictures of the animals, but I'll see what I can swing).
- pictures of the beautiful scenery - definitely
- pictures of LA - probably boring to some, but hey, it's California ;)
- stories about almost dying of either a) boredom stuck in LA commuter traffic or b) run ins with crazy LA drivers
- accounts of interesting wildlife that comes into the center, interesting humans that bring the animals to the center, interesting encounters with staff/other interns/volunteers.
- the day to day life and whatever other craziness i can come up with =P

Well I hope this first post hasn't been too torturous and I will hopefully be writing again real soon.

Peace, love and smooth travels.


No comments:

Post a Comment